Sunday, June 30, 2013

Travel Bucket List - 3 Items, 1 City

 See these men below?


They are the same guys who call out " "Gondola!? Gondola!" to every visitor that steps foot on the island of Venice, Italy.  Does it ruin the magic of gondola ride? Heck, No!  Enter bucket list item #1.  I wanted to do this bucket list item for so long, that even seeing the gondoliers on a break could not ruin my dream. I didn't even let the €80 price tag stop me.  

 My tip for getting a longer gondola ride, for less money is to wander away from the Grand Canal or San Marco Square.  Find a smaller side canal and a Gondolier who looks like he is ready to bargain!


After checking off the gondola ride on my list, I moved on to accomplish my next item. Bucket List Item #2 -
sitting beside the canals of Venice and watching the sun set.

Some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen have been in Venice.  Each evening  we would settle into the perfect spot with a glass of wine and wait for the lighting magic! 

Shouldn't every day end that way!











Even the night a storm came in was beautiful. 






In researching things to do in and around Venice I came across two  places that were bit  off the beaten path.... the islands of Murano and Burano. After a quick Google image search of these two places I just knew I would have to go there too! Bucket list item #3!





This was my mode of transportation for the day...


 The first stop of the day was the island of Murano.  Although we got their mid-morning, the locals had not yet woken up for the day.  Shops were still closed and the canals were quite.  It felt like we had the place to ourselves.  We were able to peek into a few windows and watch the craftsmen blowing glass and making the famous Murano glass.






We then boarded another boat and went just a bit further to
 the island of Burano. 



Burano is a photographers paradise!   EVERY house on this island is painted in bright, vibrant colors.  I loved how even the laundry hanging outside seemed to complement the colors of the homes.  If I remember correctly, the houses were painted this way so that the fisherman could find their way home after a long day out at sea. There isn't much to do on the island other than shop for the local handmade lace, stop for a quick lunch or in my case --- 
take tons of pictures! 



When I set out to explore a new city I don't always have an agenda in mind or things I want to "check of my bucket list."  Often I go with no plans at all!  Yes- that means no hotel reservations either!  It adds to the adventure.  But visiting Venice was clearly one of those once in a lifetime, bucket list trips for me!

What about you?
Do you plan out every detail of your trip or do you just go with the flow?
Do you have a bucket list? 

 I would love to hear about things you have checked off that list or things you still dream of doing. Maybe I'll be able to add a thing or two to my ever growing list.  

Come back next week to read a few travel tips and  start planning your own dream trip!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely positively love your breathtaking and riveting photography. Did you take all of the pictures yourself? Either way, the choice of pictures, along with your descriptive and captivating writing truly takes us on a “close encounter” to Venice. Also, the map adds a ton to us visual learner out there!

    Your clever catch phrase along with your fantastic blog design makes reading your posts very enjoyable. Keep up the great blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pictures are all mine...thank you for the very nice words Adam. Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You're pictures are exquisite Meghan! I've always wanted to go on a gondola too. I didn't get to it as the price did stop me last time haha. I hope to go back in the future though. I love the colorful houses in Burano!

    ReplyDelete